Thursday, August 12, 2010

I wish I could pronounce this...Øresundskollegiet

So, as was promised by DIS, I got my housing assignment by e-mail today, and from what I can tell, I got pretty lucky. First, let me give you a little background about Danish dorms. What I'll be living in is called a Kollegium. Here is how they described it in the e-mail they sent me:

"A kollegium is a mixture of a dorm and an apartment building. You will find that a Danish dorm ‘Kollegium’ is much more independently set up than in the US as you’ll have your own bathroom and furnished room, but share a kitchen with 8-10 other people. The whole structure of the kollegium is very self run by the tenants. There is no maid. This means that you will get a great opportunity for learning how to structure and organize communal living as you will have to share all responsibilities as e.g. cleaning the kitchen."

Basically.....it's an apartment-style dorm. But one big difference between this and what I'm used to at Vandy is that there is no real "campus" at DIS. It's basically just a few buildings in the middle of Copenhagen. And I'm going to have a 20-25 minute commute to class, either using bike or public transportation. 8 AM classes are going to be so much fun.


This is what they had to say about my Kollegium specifically, which I found to be pretty interesting:


"Øresunds Kollegium is the largest kollegium in Scandinavia with more than 1,000 rooms and apartments. This means that you will be living in a community that offers a variety of activities and different self-organized clubs as well as a gym. The kollegium is located in an area called Amager near many other Kollegiums, and you will, therefore, be relatively close to other DIS students. Amager is furthermore ideally located within the city and it is possible to bike from your kollegium into the city center. However, the Copenhagen Metro and the city buses run frequently if you are not up for biking and the metro stop is located about 10 minutes away from the kollegium."

Sounds pretty good to me. However, in another e-mail which includes a handbook about Oresundskollegiet, I found the most important piece of information regarding my housing:

"A bar is located in the kollegium and is open every night."

I'm sold.

Anyway, I'll update more on my housing once I actually SEE it. But getting my housing information just made my upcoming trip that much more real. I have less than 8 days left in the US. My little cousin will be here for 2 of them, with more family coming for the 3rd day, possibly going to a high school reunion get-together another day. That leaves less than 4 days to pack and get everything in order. Easier said than done.

I'll end this post with my addresses in case anyone wants to send me anything (even a letter would be great!):

Small packages/envelopes:

Brian Alosco
Øresundskollegiet Room D 207
Dalslandsgade 8
2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark

Large packages:

Brian Alosco
DIS
Vestergade 7
1456 Copenhagen K, Denmark.


I probably won't post again until the day of my departure or once I get to Denmark. TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Hello friend. I was searching for an opinion about the rooms in this kollegium. Can you tell me how it is? Are the rooms big enough, are the bathrooms nice :)? How is the community treating you there. I am a student at Denmark, I currently live in Albertslund and I wish to move away as soon as possible. If you can please find me in Facebook : Yavor SB or message me on my emal : kampfer9244@gmail.com! Im looking forward to this response as the kollegium seems really nice and exactly what I was looking for in my stay here in Denmark :)

    ReplyDelete